Saturday, September 15, 2012

To Dream The Impossible Dream

Haha - life is grand. Last April my friend Andrea challenged me to start walking again - well to START walking. I WAS on a running program - until I broke my hip in October. After emergency total hip replacement, recovering from that - I just did NOT want to WALK. Boring. Slow. UGH...so I took her challenge.

The challenge: walk 200 miles in Spain. We booked our tickets to Spain to walk the Camino Santiago - only 200 miles of the 458 mile pilgrimage. THIS would motivate me to WALK.

I began in April - ever so slowly and boringly. Then, it became fun and I was determined not to let this young-27-year-old-active-girl be a lot faster than me. I determined that I would train for this - endurance and speed - in order to keep up with her. I even googled it.

We would go 20 miles per day. Lofty high goal.People said that is unrealistic.

Everywhere I went I walked - San Juan Islands, Maui, Puerto Rico, California, etc. I worked hard and broke in my new shoes in preparation for this trip.

Yesterday, one week before our departure, we came to our senses. We are changing our route - 135 miles, 13 miles per day average. It was a difficult decision, but she convinced me by telling me that there is a free wine fountain on this route. OK. I can do this

I am handing out gospel tracts "The Narrow Road That Leads to Life" - people will have plenty of time to read these.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Earl will be thrilled you are using that tract!! I am too!! God bless your missionary journey!And bring you all safely home again!
Love SISTER Sue

JoAnn said...

I am excited - sooooo soon! I just read this in a forum re:the wine fountain, and it made me chuckle:
“We are pleased to invite you to drink in moderation. If you wish to take the wine with you, you will have to buy it.” and:
“Pilgrim, if you wish to arrive at Santiago full of strength and vitality, have a drink of this great wine and make a toast to happiness.”

JoAnn said...

and Susie - I like your word *all*...someday the world will know ...