Saturday, May 7, 2016

FINISHED YAMANOBE-NO-MICHI!!! OLDEST TRAIL JAPAN Day 8 - train to Kyoto


We woke early to go see the temple, and the priest was doing his morning duty with the gong and reciting something in ancient Japanese that Maki could not understand. Before he started, Maki got in trouble for having her hands in her jacket pockets to keep them warm.  All we could do is keep from laughing because there were about 59 cases of Sake sitting on the alter, and he was talking so fast that he kept coughing but would not stop to really cough. After he had finished, I got in trouble for blowing my nose. He was very grumpy.  This picture is from the temple looking at our lodging. 

We were SO excited that we could do yet another leg of the Yamanobe trail that Maki forgot the map. Had to go back to get it. 

Pride DOES come before the fall. I was so pleased that I had not fallen yet. I am always afraid of falling ever since I fell in my moms hospital room and broke the head off my femur! I was so so happy that nothing had happened yet. Well, today I slipped and fell - BUT this umbrella broke my fall, and broke the head off the umbrella! I remain uninjured. Hallelujah!

More beauty every step 

Stopped for a coffee and got some sweet treats with it 

Trained to Kyoto to The Westin. We have been looking forward to this treat. Once we arrived, we felt really out of place. We prefer being mountain women now.

In Kyoto is the very end of the Nakasendo Trail, where we started this journey. This statue shows 2 travelers much like ourselves. 

A quick appetizer dinner by the Kamo River - we are not in the mountains anymore - we are in culture shock. This place is CRAWLING with tourists. I am no longer the only Caucasian. Seriously, I have been only Caucasian for most of this trip since we were not in tourist places. I LOVE the Post Towns and hope to return to get my stick filled in with the stamps of all.



Not in the mountains anymore :( 

Crazy lighted and musical mopeds racing by.  

Tomorrow we have a few plans - all including much walking again. Then we go back to Tokyo to meet up with Maki's children and parents. I have until Wednesday before I go home.

What a totally glorious trip this has been. I am so blessed to have been able to do this - there is NO way one could do this if not fluent in Japanese. The trains, buses, schedules, reserving the lodgings, ASKING FOR DIRECTIONS, and everything else. We have had a billion laughs and great talks. Love you forever, Maki. <3 nbsp="" p="">

1 comment:

Marji said...

It's a good thing you learned Japanese, JoAnn.

I have a similar picture of myself speaking to the deer in Nara.

This has been such an enjoyable journey to travel with you. You are a wonderful travel writer.