Monday, February 17, 2014

My Mama



My mama went to be with Jesus January 27 at noon, of a massive heart attack. This was totally unexpected, however she was ready to go be with Jesus.

I am still in a state of numb disbelief. She was my best friend, We talked every morning on my way to work until her stroke. Since her speech became difficult, we chatted most every morning on the computer. I will miss her so much.

At her memorial service, each of her 20 grandchildren wrote a little memory of her, which I wish she could see:

Memories of Gramma

Judy’s Kids 
Luke: Grandma loved each one of her grandkids, and inevitably when together, she ended up crying tears of joy. I will always have a special place in my heart for Spanish rice, Nestle Crunch ice cream bars, Diet Pepsi, and crochet needles.

Katie: Gramma loved unconditionally. I always knew that when mom and Gramma went to church together they would end up crying and then get the giggles.

Ryan: Grandma made my Wenatchee visits so much fun and was always up on the coolest trends (Back to the Future, Sandlot and Facebook). When she hugged me, I really felt loved.

Del’s Kids
Jill: Gramma was quite a seamstress and helped me sew my first dress. She taught me the value of patience and ‘getting it right’ even if we had to rip it out 10 times.

Paige: Grams had the most beautiful laugh. The eyes watering, body shaking, cheeks burning, holding your sides, thinking you can never stop kind of laugh. 

Drew: I loved it when Gramma came over to swim. She could float on her back and drink Diet Pepsi at the same time.

Stacy: I got to spend a lot of time at the hospital with Grams when she had her first stroke. I always told her she’s the reason I decided to become a nurse. 

Earl’s Kids
Ben: Gramma Shirley had such a great sense of humor. Her smile and laughter together with her kindness and sweetness made the people around her comfortable and want to be with her.

Andy: I will never forget Grandma’s tears of joy when telling the story of how Jesus came to live in her heart. Her faith was so pure and honest.

Tim: While on vacation at Lake Chelan with ALL her grandkids, a pair of Grandma's underwear were ‘stolen’ and flown high for all to see. She was so embarrassed but couldn't stop laughing anyway.

Dolly: Gramma seemed incapable of getting mad. On the off-chance that she ever did get slightly annoyed, it would never last long. It was only a fleeting gray cloud passing over her perpetual bright and sunny spirit.

Charles: Grandma made me a patriotic blanket that could be folded into a pillow, which became my favorite because I could put my feet in the pillow pocket. When she found out, she made me another one with a special pocket for feet that I still use today.

JoAnn’s Kids
Jason: I’ll always remember your loving smile, laughing until you cried, playing card games and dominos in Canada, and the excitement I felt leading up to your arrival during the holidays. Love you Grandma.

Jordan: Grammy is and was one the most inspiring, loving, smiling, warming, strongest souls I’ve had the honor to experience. Blessed by her energy, bear hugs and incredible faith, she taught us all about the eternal bond of family. Love you Tutu.

Jaron: Gramma was so kind, loving and strong. Even after her stroke she lived with grace and set a wonderful example for us. I'll miss her dearly.

Julz: The character of a person isn't really measured by their behavior when life is easy--Grandma showed kindness, compassion, and courage during the hardest times of her life. The example she set will stay with me forever.

Janice’s Kids
Jeremiah: Grandma was there for me when I came out of surgery from my heart transplant. She visited me in my classroom and gave her full attention to every detail of my life. I will always remember how she cried when she sang hymns, was quick to laugh, and her radiant love for Jesus.

Jody: Gramma always told me I was beautiful and meant it. She always listened, always cared, and never judged.

Jessi: Love of the Lord, love for her family and laughter are the memories of Gramma that I will ever carry with me. No matter how many grandkids, or how far apart we lived, she always made each one of us feel loved and special.


Josh: Gramma loved having us around during our summer visits. I remember waking up, eating breakfast (usually grapefruit) while looking at the mountains in Wenatchee, excited about spending another day together. Tribute to Mom

No comments: