Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Ama (Grandfather in Filipino)

Ama and Auntie Sayong - brother and sister. Ama is now 90 years old, but healthy. he says he feels more weak lately.


When Ama lived in the Philippines, his wife died, leaving him to care for 2 daughters, ages 3 years old and 7 months old. His sister took one in, and his wife's sister took the other. Ama came to Maui to work for a better life - and to bring his family here. After many years, he was able to sponsor his first daughter and her 2 children to come (Joseph and Agnes). Joseph was 3 years old then, and his mom enrolled him in a Christian preschool near their home.

Ama was like a father to Joseph.

This man lived his entire life for others. As we said goodbye to him, he got tears in his eyes and said (in broken English) "I am so so happy to see my grandchildren and great grandchildren. I have been so blessed by God. Next time you come, I may not be here as I am old already. But I am so happy in my heart to see you". I shed a few extra tears at 2 things: 1)That Ama lived an entirely unselfish life for the pure benefit to others and 2) that Ama thanks God for all the goodness that he has enjoyed in his 90 years.

5 comments:

mfuji said...

Wonderful story. But I think you mean "entirely unselfish life", not "entirely selfish life".

Unless I misunderstand your meaning.

Isn't it hard to leave family in Hawaii? There is a special feeling there, I think.

JoAnn said...

Thanks for the editing! Bad mistake on my part!

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize Joseph's Grandfather was still alive!!!!
Sweet history!! Wonderful visit!
susie

Gramma Shirley said...

My tears are flowing. What a great story,and the goodbye was wonderful.You have been blessed by that man.

Anonymous said...

that is the sweetest story