Friday, September 28, 2012

Day Three Estella to Torres Del Rio

It is 6am, usual waking time. I am in my bed posting for yesterday.

I began 6am yesterday waking solo. In about ten minutes I up with a 31 year old woman from Korea, and we followed the shells and yellow arrows out of town. Unfortunately for us, no  bars were open to grab coffee. (bars are for coffee)

It was a very demanding uphill climb for about 3 miles, but time flew by for us. She had been a school teacher, then entered a convent to find God. After four years in convent, she dallied that God does not just live in convent, but everywhere.

We stopped for coffee and a take out sandwich and continued. We felt great! At one point we found a beautiful cluster of grapes and gobbled them up. After about ten minute, both of us said "do your mouth feel funny?" We were tingling and burning. We rinsed our mouths with water and he'd we wouldn't die. We talked about death and neither of us are afraid to die. Then the most hilarious picture came to mind, which kept us laughing for two hours: If a pilgrim, dies here, in one hundred years there would be a skeleton with a backpack on, because no one would want to carry anything to steal. That is also why our things are safe - no one wants extra weight.

The say was hard but beautiful. We saw. Huge flock of sheep with a dog and shepherd. The sheep were getting out of control, leaving the pasture and entering out road, We looked at the shepherd to see what he would do, but he was busy talking on his cell phone and not paying attention!

We walked together the whole day, and made it 39 kilometers,is a lot of miles. When we arrived at Albergue, my friend from Hawaii was waiting. Taking off my pack I felt like my shoulders had to be bleeding. I could not raise my arms. I think I discovered the problem - 39 years ago when I back packed, there was only one size,which was always too tall for me so I always tightened straps all the way. I now have a women's small pack, so I will loosen them next day.

Last night there was a special pilgrim meal in the cutest restaurant with about 49 of us there...fabulous food and fun.

Today as I prepare for my day, I hear the rain POURING....you can only stay one night in each town in Albergues. I DID thankfully buy a rain poncho in Pamplona.

Only 29 kilometers today...sopping wet. Let's do this!

2 comments:

Dolly said...

SO much fun to read your updates!! Such an adventure! Love you!

Anonymous said...

U r typing on yr ipad & I m typing on my kindle…so hope u can read this…my. laptop is in the shop. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing! Feel a bit like we can b on the adventure with u! Yr friend must be absolutely sick but I know u have another Friend who is walking with u… BLESSINGS'!