Saturday, October 22, 2011

Day 3 - not too funny

Today I realized that my dream of racing the Diva Half Marathon in Honolulu on April 1 is gone. In September I told my Maui friend that let's decided by October 15 if we want to go for it. On October 15 I was getting emergency total hip replacement.

At the end of August, I injured my hip running - by adding too much distance on hills, and not stretching afterwards. After ex ray at doctor, they determined it must be bursitis, take prescription anti-inflammatory and to REST it. Next day I left on airplane for a 12 day business trip, which was nearly impossible to rest. I ended up buying a cute pink can there. One month after that, I took a little fall at the Kirkland waterfront, while watching the Vanderhoff family photo shoot. It was a bad fall, and really set my pain back a reeling. I told doctor pain is worse, he prescribed me the big steroid treatment. No help.

On Thursday I go to Wenatchee to be with my mom who had a stroke. I spent one night in the hospital with her - the second night I fell getting out of the shower, having basically 3 breaks in my hip - completely severing the head, breaking the neck, and dislocating it all. They can usually relieve pain with traction - but I was not a candidate for that since I would bleed out. I had to endure for 24 hours.

So now, I am left with no running in my future at all - ever and forever. WEIRD timing? SO, the question of running the Diva Half Marathon is answered. Next thought - IF I can get a doctors OK, I CAN WALK THAT THING IN 3.5 HOURS! I was not a speedy runner anyway, and I can still wear my cute running outfit.

I have had an
Anterior Total Hip Replacement
and have learned that there are as many hip replacements as their are hair colors for women. I did it good.

I have 2 weeks to decide what my next goal will be (well, after walking again) I fear my new hip made my leg way too long. They do say it takes 2 weeks for the joint to settle in. I can wait before I scream.

My mom - my dad and her are truly forced to hire in-house care now - which is really difficult for them. My heart aches for them and this huge huge life change. I pray for peace for them.

I really wanted to go to church tomorrow, but Joseph said "You cannot sit that long, and you will have to go potty, and you cannot use a regular toilet" I forgot about that. I will be released soon - but my parents won't.

No comments: