Sunday, August 21, 2011

Confessions

I have waited for this exact moment to make my announcement/confession:


I have lost 50 (fifty) pounds in all. This endeavor began in March 2009, starting with Atkins diet, then doing HCG diet for one year (40 days on, 40 days off, etc.) Last March I was at the lowest weight since 6th grade - I am 10 pounds more than that now.

After losing weight, I planned to begin exercise - I also wanted to do something I had never done before too. After having 2 feet surgeries, each taking one year to heal, I decided to try running, which I had NEVER EVER done before.

10 weeks ago I began the Couch to 5K program, with my eyes on the goal of yesterdays 5K race in Woodinville. I was hoping beyond all hope to at least finish, within one hour - but was wanting to finish in 45 minutes.

I am glad I wore pink so my family/fans could find me in the crowd.

I started out too fast, had to pull back in order to not have to walk. I did take 23 steps total in the 5K race, which I am elated about.

I crossed the finish line with my family cheering me on - in 38 minutes. I am in total and absolute shock. I can run.

The only thing that is sore on me is my neck - I think that is from looking behind to see how many people were slower than I was. I actually finished right in the middle of all registered people. There were walkers too...so I was probably on the low end of the runners, but much faster than the walkers :)

KUDOS to Julia O'Connell, who encouraged and coached me.

I have also discovered a ton of gadgets - Ipod Nano, Blue Tooth ear buds with mic so I can listen to music and talk on phone wirelessly, cool fabrics that keep me dry, great shoes, visors and caps, and beauty everywhere!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are my PTL HERO! Maybe I can walk a race with you some day.
Love you sis
Earl

Anonymous said...

This is the first time Earl has ever commented on a blog to my knowledge. He is very impressed with this :) Rightly so!! I identify with your struggle as you know, not having run since I was an adult! We were also proud to contribute to the Children's Hospital cause. They have been amazing to Arisa. So grateful for the Doctors there! You were super to do this to that end. :)
Love you Sis!!
Susie

Jessi Robson said...

Yay Auntie!!!!
Ok, I'm pretty inspired to give it another try. Next time you're in AZ we shall be running buddies:)

Anonymous said...

way to go Jo~~~! I am so proud of you! you are amazing and a inspiration to us all! Love you! janice<><

Anonymous said...

we are proud of you!Such self control. Run over here someday. Love to see you. Mom

Anonymous said...

You are AWESOME!! i think my heart just swelled with pride for my auntie and what she accomplished!