Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Goodbye was also a Hello

It is odd how saying goodbye to Uncle Wayne was also a big HELLO to many cousins I had not seen in years and years. While no one wants to have the excuse of a funeral for a family gathering, it was a blessed event.

We numbered (these are first cousins on the Chandler side, mind you) nine out of thirteen - not bad, not bad at all. From left to right, the first cousin roll call, (in maiden names): Mike Chandler, Jan Vanderhoff, Ann Hagen, Dave Chandler, Judy Vanderhoff, Dan Cain, Jane Hagen, Del Vanderhoff, JoAnn Vanderhoff. Missing cousins: Steve Cain, Earl Vanderhoff, Gail Hagen, Eric Hagen How ironic that our two very youngest cousins are the ones who lost their daddy.



What is wrong with the Vanderhoff's - can't most families just take a decent picture on command? It MUST be the "Genes"

My mom and her dear sweet sister in law, husband less now. When I said good bye to Aunt Wanda, she told me that she wants to join her husband now, and not wait. For the first time of the funeral day, tears welled up in her eyes as she said this. Bless her broken heart.I gotta add, that little lady behind these 2 is Aunt Sylvia - 98 years old! Not kidding - she dances in high heels still!

4 comments:

Gramma Shirley said...

great pictures and memories, thanks JoAnn, so many memories, i love them all. Mom

Anonymous said...

It so true that we don't get together unless it is a wedding or funeral. It was great seeing you and giving uncle Joseph crap about the new dog! The one thing I thing of when I look at a picture of mom and you and the rest of your siblings is that Uncle Del is on his toes, no matter what. Or a chair.

JoAnn said...

HAHAHAHAHAH Katie - You got that Uncle Del down good.

My new dog is so so adorable - you don't even know.

WELL dearie, Julianne and I are going to come to your house some day - mid-week, so she can skip school and I can skip work (a Wednesday) and see the farm and you! OK?

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Fun Pictures! Love it! glad you got them up so fast! It still does not seem real that Uncle wayne can be gone! it is really NICE to be back in the sunshine today! AND I LOVE my bed!!!!!! Too bad I have to leave tomorrow@! jan<><