Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Happy Father's Day Dad! (and birthday)

Born in an obscure village (Spokane), the son of immigrants (OK, not quite), suffering through the Great Depression (true) there arose such a clamor.
What was a simple looking adorable boy child, rose to the occasion by conquering pigeons, newspaper routes, bone disease, and even a boys choir. My dad, Eugene William Vanderhoff, born 6/22/1928, seized each moment of his life to better himself. He was and is to this day driven, to be the best that he can be.

Rumor has it that he used to suck his thumb. In fact, you know how people say "Oh don't worry about it Mavis! No one has ever gotten married while still sucking their thumb!"?
But that's OK with me. Some people cannot be forced to grow up too quickly.
He married Shirley Chandler and had five ADORABLE children. Their first house was actually a sort of chicken coup, and my dad made sure that my mom could stay home and raise those little darlings. He was a great provider for his family: financially, mentally, and politically (yes, that is important!)

OK all joking aside, my dad worked very hard his entire life - and to this day, still is a worker bee. After becoming a fantastic salesman, my dad finally purchased Chamberlin Distributing Company in Wenatchee and successfully made the business profitable for many many years.


One thing I appreciate most about my dad is that he raised us to not ever take advantage of having money - in fact, I thought we were poor. I think it is his fault I love thrift stores. When we wanted money for movies or other things, he always had us do work for it. I remember so many times shining his shoes...I would much rather do that than pull weeds! I even ironed his fabric hankies!

When I lived in Hawaii for 7 years, they used to come once a year. We had good times. Some famous artist painted a picture of US! We tried not to let people know about it, on account that we might be hunted by the Paparazzi.
He had a place up in Brown's Bay Canada for salmon fishing. We would go up each year, and one year he allowed my mom and I to trash his place by making our own paper, catch little fishies and try Japanese paint printing...well, it kinda looked like it. This one is for my mom and her five little fishes.

His daughters are all famous, but we hide it real well.
and the secret was safe until someone spotted this painting of me!!!
He likes to dress like his sons and son in laws - and got these shirts for a Fathers Day get together:


We had many vacations at Lake Chelan.

We went to Vocalpoint shows, and on Halloween he insisted that we all dress up:
He let Jordan have his part in the opera....
He cares for the sick from afar
All kidding aside,(again) my mom had a stroke. My dad will have it no other way than for him to be her primary caregiver. He is truly truly my hero. I respect and admire him so much for being so selfless just to bless my mom. Dad -HAPPY FATHERS DAY TO YOU! I love you so much!
Sincerely,
Your Favorite Daughter named JoAnn

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen Sister!! However Mom, Dad and i are all crying right now!! Very touching! He LOVED it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thank you for doing that! It was a 2 hanky for mom and I and a one blow in the not so ironed hankie for Dad! Love sis Janice the favorite daughter with the name Janice!<><

Dolly said...

Dolly and I are adding our loving oohs and ahhs from Texas. We wouldn't be us without Eugene William Vanderhoff. Dolly recognizes her own chin on Grandpa's face. Earl grows more like his Dad every day in every way. Happy Birthday!!!

-Susie

Anonymous said...

what a tear jerker. you are so good at bloggs. dad was so pleased. thank you so much for making him feel so special, which he is. love the pics too.
love you Mom.

Mamas said...

We just love Gpa Gene! Thanks for the post!

maki said...

I am so thankful that G'pa Gene raised such wonderful children (and grand children :>)! Happy birthday, and happy father's day!! We love you!

Anonymous said...

i love it auntie! i am always so blessed when i get to spend time with the vanderhoff's! amazing that papa has gotten this whole crazy family started! i still remember the ducky voice and bedbug pinches so often=)

jessi