Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Trip to L.A. 1/30 - 2/1/09


What a better way to start our trip to L.A. than to fly over my old stomping grounds (I used to climb mountains, ya know) Mt. Rainier is majestically fearful - I am always reminded of the power of God when I gaze upon that mountain. Having climbed it, I know the struggles, determination, and sheer desire that it takes to get to the summit. It is a picture of the doctrine of Perseverance of the Saints! We will one day be with Jesus Christ, face to face and unashamed. What glory that will be! We can persevere in this life knowing what lies ahead.


After a four hour delay getting out of Seattle, we whipped to the hotel, met up with my sister Janice, her husband Jeff, and my nephew.....and jetted to a Pirate Dinner Show, while Jordan was in the opening night of the opera. It was hilarious - we were required to be rude, crude, and socially unacceptable. While we had a blast acting that way (I did not over do it, I promise) I was also grateful that God has regenerated my heart and gives me a desire to live for Him instead of pursuing only selfish gain and earthly pleasures.


Oh man, the weather Saturday was most beautiful for visiting Long Beach, having lunch there, and just being in the SUN. It could not have been better - it was a blessing to spend time with family who lives in Arizona, as well as Jordan.


The opera Marriage of Figaro was the Saturday night highlight. Biola does a fantastic job with operas, and Jordan was in a role never seen before - an old man. He played Figaro's father. I always love the "after show" that occurs randomly with college students. It energizes me and makes me wide wide awake! We went to bed at 2AM, knowing that we were to wake up Sunday morning at 5AM!


After all the wonderful blessing of the weekend, I thought nothing could top it - but we were pleasantly surprised to learn that Jordan must be up and at it at 5AM Sunday morning, to participate in the worship band and perform "Jesus Messiah" for special music at a church one hour away. We all got up at 5AM to arrive in time...he sang for three services (which we stayed for) and I would have gone for more. The song is beautiful (although Jordan struggles with the repetitiveness of some such songs) The words to the song, finishing our weekend - you can listen to it on Youtube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJmG1j0CJhQ

He became sin Who knew no sin
That we might become His Righteousness
He humbled himself and carried the cross

Love so amazing - Love so amazing

Jesus Messiah, Name above all names,
Blessed Redeemer, Emmanuel
The rescue for sinners, The ransom from Heaven,
Jesus Messiah, Lord of all

His body the bread, His blood the wine,
Broken and poured out all for love
The whole earth trembled And the veil was torn

Love so amazing Love so amazing

Jesus Messiah, Name above all names,
Blessed Redeemer, Emmanuel
The rescue for sinners, The ransom from Heaven,
Jesus Messiah, Lord of all

All our hope is in You. All our hope is in You.
All the glory to You, God - The light of the world

Jesus Messiah, Name above all names,
Blessed Redeemer, Emmanuel
The rescue for sinners, The ransom from Heaven,
Jesus Messiah, Lord of all

1 comment:

HeBear said...

Did you forget my name again Aunt Joann????