Saturday, February 14, 2009

LOVE is a verb

1 John 3:18 Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth

When I was young, I searched for "love" - my prince charming to come and whisk me into eternal bliss. I wanted butterflies, I longed for longing. I was blessed enough to find my prince charming, experience butterflies, and got what I longed for.

As I grew older, I realized that love is not merely a feeling - but is actually a VERB. It is not how I feel when I first wake up in the morning. It is not how I feel when I am required by necessity to cook or clean or do other seemingly mundane chores. It is the day to day walking in faith and obedience to God, in love, for His glory. Immature love wants to fulfill something in myself - to have an experience. Mature love is others-directed.

As I watch tween girls growing into young ladies, I am reminded of how I was at that age. Can we skip that part and move on to the real thing? Oh how wonderful that would be!

As I watch my nieces and niece in laws having babies, it is a picture of the verb love. Getting up in the middle of the night to care for a sick child, being so tired during the daytime hours due to lack of sleep, yet - rejoicing in that lot in life is true love. I am encouraged by Dolly, Maki, Esther, Jill, Paige, Jessi, and Katie as they intentionally each day ACT in love - caring for the needs of their families over their own desires, intentionally giving thanks for their lot in life. I pray for them all to continue in love.

Happy Valentines Day - today and every day - as we become for "others oriented" rather than "self oriented".

No comments: