Saturday, February 28, 2009

I Live Because He Lives


Yesterday I was dragging all day - extremely tired, most likely fighting off this flu that everyone has. I came home and went to bed at 5:30PM! I got up at 9PM to eat some soup, and went back to bed. This morning at 5:45AM Tucker the dog decided he needs to go outside, which woke me from my deep deep sleep.

So...here I am, the only one in my house awake still. I was thinking about how peaceful it is in the neighborhood, my house, and in my soul. There is complete and utter .....peace.

Why? Only by the grace and work of God can we experience joyful peace. I like to read through the Trinity hymnal for devotions. I came upon one of my favorite hymns, which explains this peace I experience. (not one verse could be taken out to shorten this)

Not What My Hands Have Done

Not what my hands have done can save this guilty soul;
not what my toiling flesh has borne can make my spirit whole.
Not what I feel or do can give me peace with God
not all my prayers and sighs and tears can bear my awful load.

Thy work alone,O Christ, can ease this weight of sin;
they blood alone, O Lamb of God, can give me peace within.
Thy love to me, O God, not mine, O Lord to thee,
can rid me of this dark unrest, and set my spirit free.

Thy grace alone, O God, to me can pardon speak;
thy pow'r alone O Son of God, can this sore bondage break.
No other work, save thine, no other blood will do;
no strength, save that which is divine can bear me safely through.

I bless the Christ of God: I rest on love divine;
and with unfalt'ring lip and heart, I call this Savior mine.
His cross dispells each doubt; I bury in his tomb
each thought of unbelief and fear, each ling'ring shade of gloom.

I praise the God of grace: I trust his truth and might;
he calls me his, I call him mine, my God, my joy, my light.
Tis he who saveth me, and freely pardon gives;
I love because he loveth me, I live because he lives.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

how beautiful,he is our god who loves us so, and gives us peace.
thanks be to him.love you mom

JoAnn said...

Oh mom - I am so thankful that you have the peace of Christ in your life! Love you too!

maki said...

It is amazing He is not ashamed to call me His, and I can call this great God mine. Amazing.

maki said...

And I hope you feel better... I haven't seen you a while. I miss you!