Friday, October 5, 2012

Tearful Day Ten - Goodbyes, Injuries

This morning we did not have to get up at first sound. The first time in ten days that my pack did not need to be quickly stuffed and ready to roll. I must say, it did not feel right at all. I layed in bed and watched an Italian man march by In hi undies to the shower, preparing for his day. There were sounds of crumbling plastic bags, teeth being brushed, and shoes being fastened.



Delimanju and I lazily got ready for a day unlike others. We decided to roam the town looking for other pilgrims we have met along the way to say Buen Camino to them.




We found a herd of them - many wounded and injured. At this stage, there are medical stations being utilised by many pilgrims. My friend from Hawaii is a total tendon mess, was at hospital for hours yesterday, and is to be off her leg for at least two days...she will taxi to next town.

David, from Seattle,  is experiencing severe pain In his Achilles tendon, but will trudge on slowly. I told him of the "secret" doctor from Ireland to talk to if he sees her in next town. She helped many but did not want to be official Camino doctor...lol.

Ed from Australia has infected blisters and is taking a rest day. Many people  are staying in Burgos two days to recuperate before continuing on. These people have a month or more off work to do the entire Camino.

Spanish Chinese friend must quit due to his knees.

My own ankle is three times normal size - an inflamed tendon.

We had one last coffee with about 15 people, and hugged through tears our deepest goodbyes.

Then Delimanju and I walked around in tourist shops feeling so strange. We planned how we will meet again in Seattle. I gave her my headlamp to she has to come visit me.

We packed my bag, and went early to where  my bus would take me to train to Barcelona. We ate potato chips and drank vino tinto no frio from my bota.   We once again declared how God brought us together for His purpose. I prayed for her -that she will be the Light of the world. She will continue for more than one more month.

When the bus came, we panicked. This is really goodbye. We sobbed our goodbyes.  So strange that I leave my Camino experience with same tears as I came, but for different reasons. 

No words can begin to describe what I have experienced these past ten days. I can say with confidence that He Who began a good work in me will be faithful to complete it in Christ Jesus.

My hip - I won! It was merely stiff in the cold mornings. There were many people who had friends with hip replacements, who were going home to tell them about me.

Six hours on train to Barcelona, where I will spend 3 days. Watched first season of Downton Abby on IPad. People thought I was nuts bringing IPad with me. I think my pack was heaviest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

PRICELESS. I could shed tears with you!! Sounds like a condensed (more intense!) version of my my life...moving to a strange place, meeting strangers, finding new bonds in Christ from all over the world.So proud of you and grateful for your faithful witness and perseverance throughout your rehab!! Praise the Lord from whom all blessings flow. Robbie and Darryl are here and we were in tears about you losing your car, breaking your hip in Mom's room,etc. They are incredulous that you are over there in Spain doing this!! XOXO me

Unknown said...

So, you must be a skinny rail, you backpacker and all around woman-about-Europe. Sooo interesting to re-read your entries. Am glad your trip turned out so amazing and unforgettable. I thought that would most likely be the case, knowing your gift of immediate friendship. I'm pleased you got to see Sagrada Familia and I smiled at all the ways you were determined not to take no for an answer. Excellent!! Can't wait to talk with you when you get home. AND see some photos. Gloria