Wednesday, September 26, 2012

HALLELUJAH! Day One Walking: Pamplona to Puente La Reina

I am in bed typing on IPad which is very difficult for me.

Above me in the bunk is an adorable Italian young man, next to me is a very nice Swedish young man. This I am getting used to.

This morning I took off on my own, stopped for coffee, and headed out, following the shells imbedded in the street.





 In one half hour I met up with two Canadians, a French man, and a woman from New York. The moment we got out of town, it was suddenly the Camino! With butterflies in my tummy, I prodded on.


I had lunch alone - it was peaceful and wonderful.
 BEAUTIFUL walking paths....



Today we made an elevation gain of 1000 feet  and went 14 miles.. I feel great! my hip is trying to whine a bit, but  am telling it to keep that to itself. I spent most of the day with Julia, whom I really enjoyed getting to know. 

We stopped a few towns out for breakfast...carbs....and grabbed a sandwich to take. After a few hours I went on alone, trying to get to next town quicker. Three towns before destination, a local man and his dog joined me.
  He spoke no English. It was a very


interesting few hours. He picked me figs,
tomatoes,  and grapes trying to get a kiss from me. I kept reminding him of my wedding ring and husband LOL! The figs were amazing!

Once I checked in to albergue and dumped my pack, I went for walk...now THAT sounds funny! I met up and Irish woman and her brother, a darling young German couple, a man from Australia, and "Hilga from Norway", as she introduced herself. Beautiful people.


Came back to albergue and met up with new York Julia, a very sewer, smart, and interesting woman whom I will visit on my next trip to New York in October.

We went to dinner and had a "Pilgrims meal" -  3 courses for $10.

Came back and took a shower, with a German man in next stall singing at the top of his lungs.

AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Angie said...

Keller wants to know if he was singing Wagner.

Sheila said...

K this is going to top any story ever that you will tell again. I am so amazed and seriously happy that you are doing it THIS way. so much more in my head - but not for a blog! Proud to know I am in your friendship circle.