Sunday, October 16, 2011

Drug Induced Ebay Shopping

This is really a story that presents disbelief, at least to me.

You know how I was into a running program? I was SO psyched ~ did the 5K, and had begun training for a 10K with my eyes on a half marathon in April. One day while Julianne was at soccer practice, I added too much distance and time to my run, and neglected to properly stretch out afterwards. (dummy me) In a few weeks, I was unable to walk without assistance. Went to doctor, Bursitis. What a total and complete PAIN!!!

Well after nearly 2 months, it STILL hurt. Poo -

Subject change - my mom (who suffered a severe stroke 3 years ago) had a fall - she passed out at her home, and was taken by ambulance to ER) They suspect another stroke. She was too weak to do anything at all on her own, and required 2 people to transport her from bed to chair. Her breathing is really shallow, which is a worry.

I went to Wenatchee on Thursday to be near her, and see how things are. I slept in the room with her on the most comfortable bed ever. After 2 days, they moved her to the Rehab Clinic (rehab for body after a stroke, that is) SO, I decided to stay there too, in a most comfortable bed. Before bed, I decided to hop in the shower in her room.

Nice enough shower, although the shower curtain was horrible, and filled the tile floor with a slight layer of water. The clothes I left on the floor were wet too - rats.

As I stepped out of the shower ever so gingerly so as not to slip - WHAMMO CRACK BANG CRUNCH! RIGHT smack on my hip - the bad hip too!I heard a breaking bone - I swear I heard it. I could not move - my poor mom was in her bed unable to move and barely able to call out to me. She heard the crash even without her hearing aids in. I could hear her calling me, but could not answer, afraid of what I did to myself.

GOOD thing I was in a rehab bathroom - there were bars on the walls everywhere to help me get up! I managed to get to a chair in there and assess my condition. My initial assessment- disclocation. However, I could not confirm my diagnosis without Google.

My mom call her nurses, who put me in wheelchair and rolled me down to ER - SUPER convenient ~ Exrays, morphine , more and more morphine. Not good news at all. The bone that is connected to the joint "head" was completely broken, and at a right angle. The joint head had no support, so it snuck out of the joint (that must have felt really strange to that head - afterall, it has been in that location for nearly 55 years)..

Ligaments and muscles were a catastrophe. Upon further investigation, the doctor surmised the the extent of my crime, I mean accident, that I must have had a hairline fracture instead of bursitis - thus explaining the wretchedness of the injury.

They wheeled my bed to say goodbye to my mom: I began calling people who did not believe me. (I mean really who would?) I was then ambulanced from Wenatchee to Kirkland, my home sweet home hospital. I required surgery within 24 hours since the bone was completely severed.. I discovered the new worst pain I have ever experienced. I was totally and completely out of it for 24 hours but the pain never once let up.

They called in a cool doctor to perform my total hip replacement! "I am too young", cried the new runner!

Back to Blog Title: I have my laptop and can shop on Ebay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the saddest yet slightly funny story. Not funny that you broke your hip. Not funny that you are so young and have a hip replacemnt. Funny that you did it in your momma's hospital room! Thinking of you!! Speedy recovery...I might send you something to help with that.

Anonymous said...

This is an a blog for our forever moments to remember!!!! Why in the world did God allow your accicident in such comic circumstances?? He afflicted both you and Earl this year in ways such that you can identify with Mama Shirley (to a lesser degree).
I praise Him for your good doctor and may you HEAL WELL!!! Love so much!
Sister Sue